Day four of sitting in the parking lot of my daughter's high school while she completes the tennis team tryouts. I am seriously bored now: with reading, with Facebook, with answering email -- but most of all, with my stupid fractured big toe that is making it uncomfortable to do any real walking.
On Monday, this experience made me feel contemplative. Today, my mind is just flitting from topic to topic. And since I have nothing else to do, I'm just going to share it all here.
1. On the Supreme Court ruling that Obamacare is constitutional: I switched from NPR to cable television to see the coverage on the ruling this morning (for some reason, some news just seems more REAL when you can see the head that's doing the talking).
I was giddy upon hearing the opinion (no false announcement on my end, MSNBC got it right). I could not resist a few pointed posts on Facebook - but will leave the rest of that for my usual activities on the MOMocrats page.
2. Spent much of yesterday reading personal remembrances of Nora Ephron, and was struck by how much love was being shown for a screenwriter. And then I remembered that of course, Ephron grew up in Hollywood and recognized the same thing that others, like Preston Sturges and Billy Wilder saw before her: writers in this town have little chance of seeing their work get to screen intact unless they find a way to also direct. If Ephron had only been the writer of Silkwood and When Harry Met Sally, only film geeks like me would recognize her name. Thank goodness the moneymen gave her the reins to direct her own work. And thank goodness she continued to write.
Now, if only we could see more women working above the line in film and television production. I think our popular culture would be so much richer.
3. After 20 minutes of forced listening to music from the house across the street, I can unequivocally announce I don't like Banda. I suspected as much, but now it is confirmed.
4. I am blessed with some of the most incredible friends in the world, both women I know "in real life" and a couple of hundred others I've gotten to know through the magic of social media. I can't wait to get out of this boot so I can see some of them again.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad in my parked car in Reseda